yu-yu

Monday, June 27, 2005

☆ Key Points of Teaching Grammar ☆

Which of the Key Points for teaching grammar, ideas for introducing new grammar, ideas for practicing new grammar, and ideas for communicative activities were useful and why you thought so. Also, which ideas you did not think were useful and why you thought so.

★Key point for teaching grammar
I think a useful key point is "Good rules can help students". Because, I think English grammar is often too misleading for biginner English learners. For example, the differences of "many" and "much","few" and "little", and so on. It is difficult to sense the differences without "good rules"(many and few are used when the noun is concrete noun....) ,I think.

★Ideas for introducing new grammar
I think a useful idea for introducing new grammar is to use "Real things"and to use pictures. Because it is easier to understand the information from eyes than from only ears. And I think visual impressions are unforgettable!
But I didn't think "Use dolls" is a useful idea in junior high school. I think most of junior high school students are shy. So they might not be interested in the dolls, I think.

★Ideas for practicing new grammar
I think "Memory test" is a useful idea for practicing new grammar.Because, first it is interesting , so students will not be bored. And students can see only a picture in this activity, so students have to say not only the phrases (Is there~?), but also the names what they want to say(pencil, book, and so on) by themselves. I think it will be good practice for students.
 But I did not think "Pattern practice" is a useful idea. It may be a good practice, but I think it is too monotonous, so students might be bored with it.

★Ideas for communicative activities
I think "Find someone who...." is a useful idea for communicative activity. Because students can get many chances to talk with their classmates in this activity. So I think this activity can foster students' communicative abilities a lot. And in this activity, students can practice English speaking, listening, and writing at once. I think it is also good point.





1 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger JH said...

Yu Yu,

Do you think the concept of "concrete" and "abstract" nouns is easy for JHS students to understand? When you were a JHS student was it easy for you to understand? I am just curious.. Thanks!
JH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home